With pizza cravings emerging faster than current foreclosures, I decided to test a new dough recipe by Cat Cora. This recipe makes six, ~8 inch pizza pies. Feel free to freeze any extra dough…I didn’t face that problem, as all six pizzas were consumed in one evening…by two of us…don’t judge:
1 1/8 t dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup room temperature water
2 T olive oil
2 cups AP flour
1.5 t salt
1/2 lb eggplant-sliced into 1/8 inch slices
1/4 cup olive oil
cayenne pepper-to taste
3 T olive oil
1 red onion-thinly sliced
8 oz mushrooms-sliced
2 t sherry vinegar
3 cups fresh spinach-washed
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for 10-15 minutes (in the warmest part of the kitchen). Add room temperature water and 1 T olive oil and mix. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Add wet ingredients into the dry and form a dough. Kneed 5-8 minutes, on a floured surface or in a stand mixer. Form the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 1 hour, in the warmest part of the kitchen (until doubled in size) .
2. While the dough is rising, place eggplant slices on a sheet tray and brush liberally with olive oil. Season well with oregano, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Roast in a 375F oven until tender through (~50 minutes). Remove from oven and reserve.
3. Heat 3 T olive oil in a skillet, on med-low heat. Add onions and season with salt (this will release their moisture). Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the onions are nicely caramelized and sweet. Remove and reserve.
4. Heat 2 T olive oil in a skillet on med-high heat. Add mushrooms and toss to coat in oil. Continue tossing until golden brown and all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and turn off heat. Add sherry vinegar to the pan and toss once more. Remove from pan and reserve.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl and separate into 6 balls. Roll out each dough ball to ~8-9 inches. Place rolled out dough onto rack-lined sheet pans and brush lightly with with olive oil.
6. This is where you can get creative-mix and match toppings (tomato sauce, roasted eggplant, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, fresh spinach, and cheeses) and bake pizzas 10-12 minutes in a 375F oven.