[below is my adaptation from various research and the Gourmet, May 2008 issue]:
2 1/4 t dry yeast
7 T warm water
1 2/3 cups flour (plus extra for dusting)
3/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1 t oregano
1 t smoked paprika
2 large eggs
1 T olive oil
1.5 T melted butter
1/4 lb smoked Gouda cheese-shredded
1/4 lb swiss cheese-shredded
1 T heavy cream
1. Combine the yeast with the with the warm water and add 1 T flour. Let the mixture stand in a warm place until it becomes slightly foamy (10 minutes).
2. Combine the rest of the flour with the salt, nutmeg, oregano, and paprika. Beat 1 egg and add it to the flour mixture.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture to form a sticky dough. Using a stand mixer (or your hands), kneed the dough for approximately 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic (if using your hands, be sure to kneed on a well flowered surface). Form the dough into a ball and lightly dust 1 T flour all over the dough. Brush a bowl with olive oil and transfer the dough to it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to slowly rise in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 F and bring the dough to room temperature. Punch the dough down.
5. Brush the melted butter onto a sheet pan; turn the dough out onto the buttered sheet pan.
6. Using your fingertips, spread the dough out into a round, ~1/4 in thick and ~14 in wide.
7. Combine the cheeses and place them in the center of the dough round. Gather the dough up and over the cheese and make a knot on top. Using your fingertips, gently press the dough out once more, (pushing the cheese down and out) into a round ~7 in wide.
8. Beat one egg with heavy cream and brush this mixture on top of the bread.
9. Transfer the dough to the oven and bake for 16-18 min, or until the top is golden.
10. Slice an serve warm.