Chocolate Pastry Cream Fruit Tarts
2 cups flour
2 T sugar
1/2 T salt
2 sticks butter-cold and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/4 - 1/2 cup cold water
Chocolate Pastry Cream:
12 oz milk
2 oz sugar
3 oz corn starch
3 oz dark chocolate chips
fresh berries (strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, black berries, etc)
FOR THE DOUGH:
1. Preheat the oven to 425F and sift the flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Using the paddle attachment, slowly add the butter until small dough balls form and the butter is incorporated.
3. Slowly add the water until a shaggy dough forms. Do not add too much water, just enough to form the dough.
4. Split the dough in half and form two balls (be sure to handle the dough as little as possible). Roll out or press the dough into a 9 inch tart pan. Using a fork, lightly poke the dough all over (to avoid air bubbles).
5. Bake the dough until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
FOR THE PASTRY CREAM:
6. Bring the milk and half of the sugar to a boil.
7. Combine the other half of the sugar with the cornstarch. Add this to the beaten eggs and whisk until smooth.
8. Slowly temper the egg mixture into the milk mixture and cook for 2-4 minutes (while whisking the entire time).
9. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips. Pass the pastry cream through a strainer, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to cool completely.
10. Fill each tart with pastry cream and decorate with fresh berries; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.