As with any profession, the culinary field has a few quirks: the odd hours and the occasional crazy, screaming boss.
A few of these quirks, however, are not so typical and are not mentioned in your culinary arts school tour...
- Exceptionally sore fingers, hands, and wrists-who knew that fingers can be sore? From the chopping, carrying, dismantling, stirring, and various other necessary performances.
- Not-so-light knife bag-which is to be lugged around each day...to and from work...to and from class...to and from home.
- Knives-which are to be sharpened and honed daily...which otherwise prove to be completely inadequate, inefficient, and otherwise wretched.
- $80+ Danskos-without which your back, neck, and feet wouldn't be here today to tell their story.
- Last, and unfortunately not least, additional tasting pounds-which are thoroughly enhanced with every dish you make, as everything MUST be tasted.