Savory Carrot Bread
.4 oz dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
9 oz A.P. flour-separated by weight into 5 oz and 4 oz
4.5 oz carrots-shredded
1/4 t oregano
2 oz olive oil (plus extra for oiling baking dish)
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for ~10 minutes, until it begins to bubble.
2. In a bowl, mix 5 oz flour, carrots, eggs, and oregano; stir in the yeast mixture and mix well.
3. Place a damp cloth over the bowl and allow dough to rise, in a warm part of the kitchen, for ~1 hour (or until doubled in size).
4. Once risen, add 4 oz flour, oil, sugar, salt, nutmeg, garlic powder, and cayenne; mix well.
5. Once more, place a damp cloth over the bowl and allow the dough to rise in a warm part of the kitchen for ~1 hour (or until doubled in size).
6. Brush an 8", round baking dish with olive oil and transfer the dough to it. Bake at 375F for ~30 min, or until bread is cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Alternatively, bake in a different shaped dish for your desired shape.